Weekly product update: Support center and improvements to domains and events APIs
This post catalogues the start of Mailgun's support system and improvements to the domain and events APIs. Read more...
This week we worked on a few things that we think will make a big impact for customers, particularly our shiny new Support Center. We also made some improvements to the Domains and Events APIs. So without further ado:
table of content
table of content
New Support Center makes keeping track of tickets much easier
We pride ourselves on being available for our users, but the process for creating and following up on a ticket hasn’t been very easy. So this week we rolled out our new Support Center where, in addition to being able to get useful links to FAQs and debugging tools (RequestBin, anyone?), you can submit and follow up on support tickets. Rather than having to search through your inbox, you can find all your support tickets in one place, along with their status. As always, you can jump on live chat and we can help you troubleshoot your issues in real-time.
New parameter in Events API lets you filter by temporary vs. permanent failures
When Mailgun can’t deliver a message, we log the reason. These events, not surprisingly, are called failures, and you can use our Events API to pull a list of failed events. There are different reasons that messages fail, however, and before today, you couldn’t use the API to retrieve messages that failed temporarily (maybe because the recipient mail server was down) versus failed permanently (maybe because the email address is invalid). Now, you can use a new filter expression, severity. Failures can either be “temporary” or “permanent”. For example, here’s how you would pull all permanently failed since Wednesday, November 20th:
We hope you’ll find this new parameter useful.
Improvements to Domains API
Since the release of our Domains API, we’ve seen several customers leveraging the power of creating domains programmatically. With that, we’ve received some feedback! Today, we’ve pushed out a small change that should make it easier for you to setup and configure domains with Mailgun.
We’ve added two new parameters: ‘spam_action’ and ‘wildcard’. If you’re familiar with our Control Panel, you’ll notice these are options exist, but weren’t exposed at the API. Check out our Domains documentation for more information regarding these parameters.
In addition to these parameters, we are now returning the DNS records upon domain creation. Previously, you would need to create the domain, then issue a GET on the domain resource to obtain the DNS record values. Now, we return the DNS records in the domain creation result. An example would look something similar to this:
We hope these new features will help you get more out of Mailgun. As always, let us know what you think.